/co/mrades

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum to the comic project started by a group of /co/mrades!

+11
The_Template
Beardly
completelystupid
HurricaneFistoMan
LastSeraph
Vanhi
GideonFry
PuntSpeedchunk
William VIII
Joe Awesome
Evan_The_Actor
15 posters

Okay, real talk: What is our goal?

Beardly
    Beardly

Okay, real talk: What is our goal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Okay, real talk: What is our goal?

Post  Beardly Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:14 am

William VIII wrote:
    we could always split into separate stories

I feel an Image style "Everything is in its own universe, but other properties can show up and be 'alternate reality' versions that fit within continuity".
    I feel that would work well for this type of project.

Just my two cents.
    William VIII
    William VIII

Okay, real talk: What is our goal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Okay, real talk: What is our goal?

Post  William VIII Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:14 am

PuntSpeedchunk wrote:
    William VIII wrote:idea: lets rip on every single trope we can

generic LA like city with a spanish name, ranging from wealthy bits of town to thug ghetto street and everything in between

Generic Spanish name, huh?

How about "Valle del Sol"?

i was having fun with this the other day

a hood part of town? La Caza (literally The Hunting Ground)

the easy going neighborly suburbs? Los Pasteles (easy as cake, with pastel colors to boot)
    HurricaneFistoMan
    HurricaneFistoMan

Post  HurricaneFistoMan Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 am

Spanish names? finally something i can help with! but i think its too soon for that kind of discussion lol.

Beardly wrote:
    I feel an Image style "Everything is in its own universe, but other properties can show up and be 'alternate reality' versions that fit within continuity".
    I feel that would work well for this type of project.

sounds cool, kinda complicated (for me at least) but cool.
    LastSeraph
    LastSeraph

Post  LastSeraph Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 am

So, to summarize before I head off for sleep:

We have a general idea of what we want out of this project, comics and stories written about superhero/villain/whatever characters that /co/mrades come up with, and want to keep a less-serious tone that parodies common tropes and cliches of those stories.

We still need to hammer out how we want to handle crossovers and team-ups between characters, and how to develop the setting as a coherent whole (or if we want it to be a coherent whole at all).
    PuntSpeedchunk
    PuntSpeedchunk

Post  PuntSpeedchunk Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:53 am

LastSeraph wrote:So, to summarize before I head off for sleep:

We have a general idea of what we want out of this project, comics and stories written about superhero/villain/whatever characters that /co/mrades come up with, and want to keep a less-serious tone that parodies common tropes and cliches of those stories.

We still need to hammer out how we want to handle crossovers and team-ups between characters, and how to develop the setting as a coherent whole (or if we want it to be a coherent whole at all).

I like the idea of each team being it's own self-contained universe, but I would like to add that perhaps each team can exist as comic books or some such in each other's worlds.
    William VIII
    William VIII

Post  William VIII Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:02 am

PuntSpeedchunk wrote:

I like the idea of each team being it's own self-contained universe, but I would like to add that perhaps each team can exist as comic books or some such in each other's worlds.

TV shows or movies can work as good ol' crossovers

is that preferred to tying it all into one world? sure sounds like it
    LastSeraph
    LastSeraph

Post  LastSeraph Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 am

William VIII wrote:
    PuntSpeedchunk wrote:

Yeah, I think trying to fit everyone into one unified setting would be crazy. If people want to do crossovers between characters or teams, then that's reasonable, but said crossover won't actually be considered part of continuity or have an impact on the original setting as a whole.
    HurricaneFistoMan
    HurricaneFistoMan

Post  HurricaneFistoMan Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:05 am

How about this?

we choose two teams (heroes and villians) and try to make them create their own universe where they can create their own continuity and stuff?
    William VIII
    William VIII

Post  William VIII Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 am

HurricaneFistoMan wrote:How about this?

we choose two teams (heroes and villians) and try to make them create their own universe where they can create their own continuity and stuff?

mashing it up? i dig, i dig

random or by choice? i think the latter would cause less trouble (and we dont want no trouble)

Last edited by William VIII on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    HurricaneFistoMan
    HurricaneFistoMan

Post  HurricaneFistoMan Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:08 am

William VIII wrote:
    mashing it up? i dig, i dig

random or by choice

idk, we could choose the teams that are more likely to be part of certain setting to make everything easy

going random is viable too, kinda more messy, but fun.
    The_Template
    The_Template

Post  The_Template Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:23 am

I'd like to see it mesh.

Have actual comics and all the shit that goes along with it.

I'll work on the project as much as I can.

Last time I did this was in /tg/'s early days on a project called 'Rodentia'. I'd love to see that come back.
    Evan_The_Actor
    Evan_The_Actor

Post  Evan_The_Actor Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 am

If I may be honest, I think it should be ONE universe.

We agree on the setting, we don't have to buff it ALL out at once, and we have CLEARLY DEFINED characters and what they start off as.

Then as the story(s) progress, things'll change.
    titillandus
    titillandus

Post  titillandus Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 am

do all the supers necessarily have to be segregated

couldn't there just be more than one city

it might even be nice to have some dudes in totally-not-london or pseudo-vancouver or something instead of the same old ameritropolis business
    LastSeraph
    LastSeraph

Post  LastSeraph Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:39 am

I think a good compromise would be to start off the teams and other characters separate and then see after a bit with developing stories if we can cross them over effectively or if it still would be too difficult.

I do like the idea of separate cities for different teams and characters though.
    The_Template
    The_Template

Post  The_Template Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 am

LastSeraph wrote:I think a good compromise would be to start off the teams and other characters separate and then see after a bit with developing stories if we can cross them over effectively or if it still would be too difficult.

I do like the idea of separate cities for different teams and characters though.

And creating your own city, your own Gotham or Star City ideas.

And let no idea go unnoticed. Keep it civil.

Oh, and write. I don't care if you can't write or draw. Try anyway, someone else can refine your idea, etc.

Also, more rule 34.
    Dan Dashly
    Dan Dashly

Post  Dan Dashly Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:43 am

The_Template wrote:
    LastSeraph wrote:I think a good compromise would be to start off the teams and other characters separate and then see after a bit with developing stories if we can cross them over effectively or if it still would be too difficult.

And creating your own city, your own Gotham or Star City ideas.

And let no idea go unnoticed. Keep it civil.

Oh, and write. I don't care if you can't write or draw. Try anyway, someone else can refine your idea, etc.

Also, more rule 34.

>More rule 34

We need the opposite of that.
    LastSeraph
    LastSeraph

Post  LastSeraph Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:45 am

The_Template wrote:

I already started, posted something in the Looking for Writer/Author subforum. Waiting for some feedback on it.

The_Template wrote:Also, more rule 34.

Uggggghhh I am not wading through that shitstorm again.
    The_Template
    The_Template

Post  The_Template Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 am

That's probably true on the Rule 34.

I'm going to commit to at least two or three ideas (a drawing or a page) a day. On weekends I can squeeze out more.
    GideonFry
    GideonFry

Post  GideonFry Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:47 am

LastSeraph wrote:
    The_Template wrote:

I already started, posted something in the Looking for Writer/Author subforum. Waiting for some feedback on it.

The_Template wrote:Also, more rule 34.

Uggggghhh I am not wading through that shitstorm again.
    Yeah, I sorta started something bad up... I think we should probably wait on rule 34 until we get an actual comic, and possibly fanbase, going. That's when it becomes appropriate to have more r34.
    The_Template
    The_Template

Post  The_Template Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:52 am

I'm excited about this project.

We have a lot of talented and creative people about. What I'm hoping is, we can keep the motivation up. People will inevitably drop off the 'face' of the internet. Don't get discouraged. We're superheros, goddammit.

I won't, unless you know; I die or my PC dies.
    JCtheGrizzly
    JCtheGrizzly

Post  JCtheGrizzly Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 am

William VIII wrote:
    PuntSpeedchunk wrote:

I guess we could always pull off a Viewtiful Joe in case we ever want a crossover between two stories where one is just a movie in the other...

I say that as long as it's not necessary to the story, we should avoid mentioning the statue of canonicity of the other teams in each-other's universe as much as possible, and at the very least always ask the other team before writing them in our book so as to not end up with Y's story saying X team co-exists within their universe while X's story says that Y's team is from another dimension or something.

I don't know, just something I felt like putting out there (I haven't even read this thread... maybe I should go do that before embarrassing myself)
    Evan_The_Actor
    Evan_The_Actor

Post  Evan_The_Actor Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 am

GideonFry wrote:Yeah, I sorta started something bad up... I think we should probably wait on rule 34 until we get an actual comic, and possibly fanbase, going. That's when it becomes appropriate to have more r34.
    Maybe it's just me, but r34 isn't something we should be focusing on right now, in any sense. Just drop it.
    Dan Dashly
    Dan Dashly

Post  Dan Dashly Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 am

Evan_The_Actor wrote:
    GideonFry wrote:Yeah, I sorta started something bad up... I think we should probably wait on rule 34 until we get an actual comic, and possibly fanbase, going. That's when it becomes appropriate to have more r34.
    Maybe it's just me, but r34 isn't something we should be focusing on right now, in any sense. Just drop it.

This
    The_Template
    The_Template

Post  The_Template Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 am

Criticism, keep it constructive.

I'm not tossing out long term ideas; just guidelines because I want this to get somewhere fun.

Evan_The_Actor
    Evan_The_Actor

Post  Evan_The_Actor Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:04 am

The_Template wrote:I want this to get somewhere fun.
    As do I. I think if we can't have fun, this won't be good.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:35 am